
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Planning to Move Back to the UK
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are said to be settling into a private, non-royal residence outside London by the end of the month, with Archie and Lilibet enrolling at a new school. King Charles reportedly learned of the plans just days ago.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly moving back to the UK in the coming weeks, more than six years after they stepped down from their royal duties in 2020 and relocated to the United States.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex pose for a photo during a Scar Tree Walk on April 16, 2026 in Melbourne, Australia. | Source: Getty Images
According to multiple outlets, the family plans to relocate from the U.S. later this month to a private, non-royal residence believed to be located outside London. Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, the couple's children, are enrolled to begin at a British school in September.
At this time, there are no official plans for the couple to resume their roles within the royal family. Still, the move has sparked speculation about whether they might do so down the line. According to the Telegraph, King Charles was informed of the move on Sunday, August 16.

King Charles III attends day four of Royal Ascot 2026 at Ascot Racecourse on June 19 in England. | SOurce: Getty Images
It's understood that the topic did not come up during his meeting with Harry and Meghan, along with their children, at Highgrove last month. He was said to be genuinely pleased at the prospect of seeing more of his family on a regular basis, both privately and personally.
However, the King has made clear that the Duke and Duchess's status as non-working royals and private individuals, consistent with their previously stated wishes, will remain unchanged. The Prince and Princess of Wales have also been made aware of the move.

Catherine, Princess of Wales, Prince William, Prince of Wales, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex on the long Walk at Windsor Castle arrive to view flowers and tributes to HM Queen Elizabeth on September 10, 2022 in Windsor, England. | Source: Getty Images
The move marks the first time Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, will have a home base in Britain since they gave up the lease on Frogmore Cottage, the Windsor residence gifted to them by the late Queen Elizabeth in 2023.
King Charles, 77, asked them to vacate the property following the release of Harry's candid 2023 memoir, "Spare."
The Duke and Duchess's security arrangements have not been disclosed, and there has been no announcement of any changes to them.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex departing St. Paul's Cathedral after the Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee 2022, the National Service of Thanksgiving, on June 3 in London, England. | Source: Getty Images
Prince Harry has previously stated that he would not feel safe bringing his family back to the UK without police protection, something he has fought for over several years. The British state has so far firmly declined to provide him with police support.
Even so, this move is the clearest sign yet that Harry believes his family's long-running security concerns have eased enough for him to feel comfortable basing Meghan and their children in Britain once more.
The couple will keep their home in Montecito, California, as well as their vacation property in Portugal, while the Duchess continues to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from their new UK base.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive to meet volunteer first responders from Bondi Surf Bathers' Life Saving Club, during a visit to Bondi Beach, on day four of the royal trip to Australia on April 17, 2026 in Sydney, Australia. | Source: Getty Images
Additionally, Harry will be able to spend more time with his UK-based charities, including WellChild and Scotty's Little Soldiers. Sources suggested the UK would serve as their primary home for an extended stretch, though it has not yet been decided whether the move will become permanent.
The exact locations of the home and school have not been made public for privacy reasons. The decision comes more than six years after the couple stepped back from royal duties and moved abroad in search of financial independence, agreeing at the time not to use their HRH titles.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (L) and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the David Foster Foundation 40th Anniversary Celebration on August 7, 2026 in Victoria, British Columbia. | Source: Getty Images
In a statement released in 2021, following a 12-month review of their situation, Queen Elizabeth II confirmed that the couple would not "continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service."
She had made clear that they could not maintain a "half-in, half-out" approach to royal duties while also pursuing commercial opportunities. The Duke and Duchess responded by saying: "We can all live a life of service. Service is universal."
